Sunday, April 1, 2012

Lemon Bars and Weekend Update

This weekend was pretty good except for Saturday afternoon. Friday Jace and I went to lunch then I ran some errands while he finished up at work and then we went to a matinee to see “The Wrath of the Titans”. I wasn’t dying to see it but Jace really wanted to and since I picked the last movie it was his turn, long story short-don’t see it. We both agreed it was bad. Maybe a Redbox movie. Later that night we went to Chopsticks for dinner and then stayed at home playing cards and watching movies. Saturday Jace and I went to the gym then he went to go work on his RZR and such while I cleaned the house, ran to the store and did some shopping. Later that afternoon we met up to get some weed killer for the lawn and a few other things. We were driving Jace’s new Ford truck over to Centerville when I noticed it was making a weird sound. We pulled over and were able to putt our way to Jace’s shop in Centerville to look at it. Jace pulled it apart slightly to try and figure out what is wrong with it. I ended up towing him back to the house (that was an exciting experience in itself) and he was able to pull it down some more at the house. He thinks it’s the turbo? Anyways that kinda put a damper on the weekend. That same night we decided to go to dinner with Jake, Marci, their boys and Jace’s cousin Cody and Christine and their kids. We went to this really yummy BBQ place in Bountiful called Smedley’s. Being from Texas I’m pretty picky on my BBQ places but this was very good! Then today we got up and made pancakes to watch conference. Then in between sessions I made some homemade Lemon Bars. I found the recipe in my Taste of Home Magazine.

Lemon Bars
Rose and Rita Laketa-Taste of Home Magazine

Crust
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup butter, softened
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar

Filling
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Additional confectioners’ sugar

In bowl, combine the flour, butter and confectioners’ sugar. Pat into an ungreased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

For filling, in a small bowl, beat eggs. Add sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon juice and peel. Beat until frothy. Pour over the crust. Bake for 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and dust with confectioners sugar.

Just a few notes of things I did:
  • I doubled the batch and used a 9 X 13 pan.
  • I hate the taste Pam leaves when I use it to grease things so I just took some of the softened butter from the crust and spread that around to grease it up.
  • I used 1 lemon for the zest and lemon juice. I got a little over 3 Tbsp of juice and plenty of zest.
  • I used my Kitchen Aid mixer to mix both the crust and the filling and I think it worked well.
  • I couldn’t figure out how to get the bars out onto a cooling rack without destroying it so I just let it cool in the pan-not sure how that will affect them.
I ended up taking them over to my mother-in-laws since we were having dinner up there. They turned out pretty delicious I thought, I will definatly be using this recipe again.
Date night Friday 
The lemon bars

No comments:

Post a Comment