Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Baked French Toast with Blueberry Sauce

So since my stove/oven is still not working (stupid POS GE…) I’ve had to get creative in my cooking. I was forced to go raid my toy hauler for some camping gear. I can use my toaster oven, microwave, griddle and camper stove top. I found this recipe in Taste of Home magazine that I figured I would try since I could use all of the above appliances (This recipe called for baking the French toast in the oven but I just made regular French toast on my griddle but I would be interested to try the baked kind).

Baked French Toast with Blueberry Sauce
Debbie Johnson-Taste of Home Magazine

Ingredients:
¼ cup butter melted
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
8 slices Texas toast

Blueberry Sauce:
¼ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp. cornstarch
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 Tbsp. thawed orange juice concentrate

Directions:
Pour melted butter on a 15X10X1 baking pan; lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. In a large shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg. Dip both sides of Texas toast into egg mixture; place on prepared pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.

For sauce, in a large saucepan combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in the blueberries and orange juice concentrate. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with French toast.

I liked how the sauce turned out (other than I used a little too much cinnamon/cloves-so go easy on those). Jace said it was “a little wild for him”. Which is his polite way of saying he doesn’t like something. He just preferred powder sugar and regular syrup with it. But I liked that it was a change to it.
I sprinkled powder sugar ontop of the blueberries

No comments:

Post a Comment