Wednesday, October 5, 2011

First week of October...

So yesterday was a pretty crazy day but I feel like I got a lot accomplished. So I had planned to bring dinner to a lady in the ward whom just had a baby boy who unfortunately ended up passing away. Its so crazy what can happen in life so even though it didn’t feel like much, it felt good to bring them some dinner. I knew I wasn’t going to have time to do everything Tuesday night so Monday night I made the Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes I found on The Sister CafĂ© Blog http://www.thesisterscafe.com/2011/10/pumpkin-spice-cupcakes-cinnamon-cream-cheese-frosting (one of my favorite to find new recipes on). Then I also decided to cut, cook and shred all my chicken Monday as well so I would just have to do frosting and combine everything Tuesday. It was a good idea because everything ended up taking a little longer than I anticipated. But I ended up making Poppy Seed Chicken (again thank you Kensley Rowland!), Apple Pecan Salad from my mother-in-law Janalyn Olson and I even talked Jace into making some Cinnamon Sugar Bread for me. We got everything ready and were able to take everything over there. It was good to see how at peace their family was with everything. It was very impressive and comforting. (I forgot to take pictures before I took everything over so these are pictures of what I made for Jace and I-and Jace was to impatient to wait).
Poppy Seed Chicken  
Jace's Cinnamon Sugar Bread 
Apple Pecan Salad 
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting and my cute little Halloween cupcake decorations from Target :)

So then we came home and I cleaned up the kitchen (which became a disaster). Jace failed to tell me at one point during our cooking session that he was melting butter and taking it out of the microwave so I ran into him and butter all over me, the cabinets and floor-not pretty so I didn’t take a picture! Then I decided to make my cute little Halloween Light Block I had seen in the advertisement for Ben Franklin. The project was surprisingly not that difficult. I think it took me longer to find everything in the store than to put it together.
Supplies from Ben Franklin (all in all I think it was about $25) 
The end product. I think its cute! 

In the kitchen by my ghost and Halloween picture frame.

Also going back to the weekend, it was General Conference so of course we watched that. Friday (long story short) Jace and I picked up a boat then I had a test Saturday morning for school so we picked up some Chili's to go and I studied all night long. Then Saturday Jace wanted to go try out the boat. So we just went to Willard Bay then he went to Priesthood and then we meet up with his dad and brother for dinner. Then Sunday I made homemade waffles (no pictures). We relaxed and then went to his mom’s for lunch in between sessions. It was a great weekend and very nice to relax. 
Don't be deceived by the photos. It was pretty dirty and needed a lot of buffing, waxing, shampooing, cleaning and loving... 
On the lake October 1st in Utah is pretty nice :)

One last side note-I love Kohls, I was in there yesterday and found these cute little guys so had to buy them for my nephews. (Yes the purple one is kinda girly for a boy but I knew Noah would like the fluffy dog!) All in all it was a pretty great weekend and good start to October. But now the snow and cold is going to start coming in :( I will post some of the recipes I do have on my computer now and the others I will have to put up later.
Waffles-Karen Lewis
Ingredients:
1 ¾ cup flour
3 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 beaten egg yokes
1 ¼ cup milk (use more milk than recipe calls for, make sure batter is fairly thin before folding in egg whites)
2 stiffly beaten egg whites (fold in last)
*Optional 3 Tbsp. sugar; 1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
Pour ¾ cup batter into waffle iron and let cook until waffles are golden brown.

Apple & Spiced Pecan Salad-Janalyn Olson
Ingredients:
6-8 cups assorted greens (anything but Iceburg)
¾ cups crumbled feta cheese
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 large red-skinned apple, diced

Dressing:
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt
Dash Tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
Whisk together dressing ingredients

Spiced Pecans:
3 tablespoons butter
1 ½ tablespoons sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans

Over medium heat, melt butter in a pan and add sugar, spices and salt. Add pecan pieces and stir until well-coated. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until sugar caramelizes and pecans darken slightly in color. Transfer mixture to a paper bag to cool. Shake bag occasionally to break up pieces.

Assemble salad ingredients & top with cooled pecans. To avoid browning apples, can be added directly to dressing or diced just prior to serving. Toss salad with dressing and serve.

Thats all I have for now. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment