Monday, July 23, 2012

Movie Event, Sand Dunes and Chocolate Caramel Cracker Bars

Another crazy weekend has come and gone. I don’t even feel like we had a break this weekend but it was fun none the less. Friday night I was in charge of an event for my office. We rented out a theater for The Dark Knight Rises movie for some of our departments as a thank you event for all their hard work. It was a little crazy getting everything worked out for tickets, concessions and such but it turned out to be a great event. I ended up LOVING the movie. I thought it would be good since I liked the last one but I think this probably just made it into my top 3 movies I’ve ever seen. Would definitely recommend seeing it; also have to mention how sad I am for all the families affected by the shootings in Colorado so terrible someone could ruin such a great movie for so many people. But the movie ended up being out at the South Jordan District Theater so my parents came with us and we grabbed some dinner before the movie. We didn’t end up getting home till 1130pm that night and since we were going to the Sand Dunes for a quick day trip Saturday morning we didn’t get to bed till close to 130am. Jace had to finish up a few things on his RZR to be ready for the morning and I got food and a few things going like laundry since we were going to be gone all day Saturday.

Saturday morning Jace got up nice and early around 5am while I slept till about 6. We finally got on the road between 8 and 9am. About 5 minutes outside of Tooele we got a flat tire on the trailer. We ended up making it into Tooele at a Les Schwab where they swapped the tire onto a different rim. It ended up probably adding a couple hours to the trip down there so we got to the Dunes around 1 in the afternoon. But it ended up being a good day down there since nothing broke! It was pretty hot most the day but still fun. We ended up coming home around 8pm and then cleaned up and grabbed some dinner at Chili’s then went home and crashed.
Jace and I in our RZR 
We ended up having a big burst of wind at the dunes and the shade tent didn't survive despite mine and Bonnies attempt to save it. I just had to laugh at how messed up the frame looked ha. 

Sunday morning we had church nice and early so we dragged our butts there then came home to relax that day. Some neighbors of our were trying to get ready for sod Monday morning so Jace ended up going over there with our tractor to help level stuff out. Helped make it go a little quicker J I ended up making some Chocolate Caramel Cracker Bars Sunday afternoon that were super yummy!

Chocolate Caramel Cracker Bars
Allysa Billhorn-Via Taste of Home Magazine

Ingredients:
1 tsp. plus ¾ cup butter, cubed
45 Club crackers
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
½ cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Line a 9 in square baking pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 tsp. butter. Arrange a single layer of crackers in the pan. In a large saucepan, combine the milk, brown sugar, corn syrup and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil cook and stir for 7 minutes. Remove from heat and evenly spread a third of mixture over the crackers. Repeat cracker and caramel layers twice. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the caramel; let stand 3-5 minutes or until glossy. Spread over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chocolate is set. Use foil to lift bars out of the pan and cut into 3-inX1-in bars.

I thought these were super easy and yummy, the perfect mixture of sweet and salty.
This picture doesn't do them justice but they are super good!

I ended up bringing this over to my parents since my dad’s 49th birthday is today Monday July 23rd and he had to leave town today so we celebrated his birthday yesterday. We had dinner with my family and my good friend Alyssa whom I’ve known since I was about 6 from Texas came to visit! It was great to catch up with her and everything going on in her life. We ended up just hanging out and then played some Wi games. It was entertaining to watch everyone competing with one another. It was a long weekend but great and now back to another busy week.

No comments:

Post a Comment